The Making of a Curtain

This pin inspired this project.

I’m not going to go into a bunch of detail about the steps, because you can find an excellent blog post about it here. 🙂 No use in reinventing the wheel.

Our first step was to cut out the strips.  We made each strip 9″ deep, and bolt-width.  For ease of cutting, we folded the fabric into quarters and then made our 9″ cuts.

image

image

Each ruffle of this curtain has three of these panels because we wanted the subtle stripe of the gauze to be vertical.

We made thirty strips, so ten ruffles.

image

(Aren’t they gorgeous?)

Step two is to attach the panels.  For this, we used a serger. The nice thing about this fabric is there is no right/wrong side.  Score!

I pinned two pieces together and serged at the edge.  Repeated for the third panel.

image

image

image

Step three is to finish all edges.

Step four is to dye your panels! Since I had ten panels, I decided to have them in the following ombre order:

1) white
2) palest green
3) paler green
4) pale green
5)  palest blue-green
6)  paler blue-green
7)  pale blue-green
8)  palest blue
9) paler blue
10) pale blue

But the best laid plans of mice and men…

When I put the green ruffles in, I realized that despite my careful calculations of how many teaspoons of dye for the amount of water I had.  Believe me.  I spent time and came out with good calculations.

Except I forgot an important variable; RIT didn’t use thin gauzy cotton for their dye chart!!

This lovely fact of life came to light when I dunked three panels into my pot — and saw a deep, dark, delightfully beautiful blue-green.

Oh. No.

As my Garmin GPS loves to say — recalculating!

I decided it was a gorgeous color,  and I’m pretty go-with-the-flow with creative projects, so I kept the same “recipe” for the dye but cut the amount I put into my water.  One thing I did change was that I didn’t put as much green in.

Basically I threw caution to the wind. It turned out pretty well, though.

And the top ruffle isn’t white.

Each batch had 1. 5 gallons of hot water (24C) and 1/3C table salt.

Bottom ruffle:
3t Teal
12t Kelly Green

30 seconds at the most

Middle ruffle:
1t teal
2t Kelly green

1 1/2 -2 minutes

Upper ruffles:
1/2 t teal
1t Kelly green

About 30 seconds

Top ruffle:
(I used the diluted dye solution from the upper ruffles)

10 seconds

image

image

I pinned the ruffles so that they overlapped onto a fabric shower curtain from walmart (beside the plastic shower curtains), and attached them with a straight seam. It was heavy and cumbersome towards the end, and sometimes quite difficult to maneuver, but so worth it. Start with the bottom ruffle and work your way up.

image

The finished curtain! It is pretty wrinkled in this photo, but after one hot shower the wrinkles disappeared.

At the top, my curtain has button holes that the shower rings attach through. On the other side of this is a plastic shower curtain (not attached).

I’m in love!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: